Report: Blues 0 Huddersfield Town 3

Jeremie Bela in action against Huddersfield.
Jeremie Bela in action against Huddersfield.

Blues never really got going against a more lively Huddersfield side at the St. Andrew's Trillion Trophy Stadium.


Blues suffered their first defeat in three games as they fell to a home loss to Huddersfield Town on Wednesday evening.

Karlan Grant fired the visitors into an early lead from the penalty spot, before Frazier Campbell and Elias Kachunga secured all three points with a goal apiece in the second-half.

The scoreline could have been even worse had it not been for Lee Camp saving a second spot kick.

Pep Clotet made just a solitary change to his Blues starting XI with Jeremie Bela replacing Maikel Kieftenbeld, who was dropped to the bench.

There was also a place amongst the substitutes for Ivan Sunjic and Marc Roberts, following their return from injuries.

Huddersfield made the early running and they saw an effort from Kachunga deflected behind for a corner by the hosts.

Then just a minute later Smith Rowe won a free-kick for the visitors in a dangerous position just outside the Blues box. Fortunately, Campbell curled his effort over Lee Camp's bar.

The Terriers were causing Blues plenty of problems with their pace on the break. And it was from one of these counter-attacks that Huddersfield ultimately took the lead.

Grant's leg was caught by Harlee Dean as he skipped into the box and Referee Jones had no hesitation in pointing straight to the penalty spot. The Hull man stepped up himself and fired a right-footed shot into the top corner.

It was not until the 22nd minute that Blues fashioned their first opening when Kristian Pedersen's deep cross from the right was met by Lukas Jutkiewicz. But his headed attempt lacked any real pace or direction and went straight into Town 'keeper Lossi's hands.

Blues were having to soak up quite a bit of pressure and they had to be thankful to Jutkiewicz for blocking Toffolo's close-range goalbound effort.

It should have been all-square after 38 minutes, but Jutkiewicz missed a golden opportunity. Crowley sent in a neat ball from the right, but from just seven yards out the Blues striker headed well over the bar.

Blues were slowly but surely looking more of an attacking threat and Gardner saw his header saved before Jutkiewicz was off target with a shot from the edge of the box.

Half-time: Blues 0 Huddersfield 1

Blues were on the front foot in the opening stages of the second-half as they pressed Huddersfield back into their own half. But it was not to last for long.

The visitors had the perfect opportunity to level on 50 minutes when they were awarded a second penalty of the match after Gardner was adjudged to have impeded Schindler.

Grant stepped up and hit it well, but Camp was equal to it with a save and Gardner fired the ball away.

But Blues’ joy was short lived as they fell behind just two minutes later.

Toffolo floated in a dangerous low free-kick from the left flank and the lively Campbell nipped in front of his marker and stabbed the ball home from six yards.

The hosts were desperate to find a way back into the contest and Pedersen tried his luck with a header at the far post, but he was several yards off target.

Bela then let fly with a long distance free-kick, but he was unable to keep his attempt down.

But it was as good as game over for Blues on 72 minutes when Huddersfield made it 3-0. Of particular disappoint was that once again it stemmed from a set-piece.

Toffolo sent in a neat free-kick towards the far post, where it was headed back into the danger zone by Steve Mounie where Kachunga was there to nod the ball home from close range.

Huddersfield were continuing to pile forward and it took a decent save from Camp to deny Pritchard at his near post.

Blues (4-4-2): Camp, Pedersen, Dean, Clarke-Salter, Colin, Bellingham, G Gardner, Crowley, Bela, Hogan, Jutkiewicz.

Subs (not used): Trueman, Harding, Roberts, Burke, Sunjic, Kieftenbeld, Boyd-Munce, Stirk, Reid.

Bookings: None.

Goals: None.

Huddersfield Town (4-4-2): Lossi, Toffolo, Hogg, Kachunga (Quaner, 83), Stearman, Grant (King, 71), Campbell (Mounie, 60), Schindler, Smith Rowe (Pritchard, 71), Duhaney (Chalobah, 83) O'Brien.

Subs (not used): Coleman, Willock, Mounie Stankovic, Daly.

Bookings: O’Brien (66).

Goals: Grant (10), Campbell (52), Kachunga (72).

Referee: Robert Jones.